Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Change is as Good as a Rest

I have heard that in the UK there's a common saying that goes like this: "A change is as good as a rest."

Today we're visiting friends who live half-a-day's drive from us. We've laughed and cried; we've been out all day with our crazy kids climbing mountains and playing in waterfalls; we've stayed up late catching up after the kids are all in bed and gotten up early to spend time with the Lord. All of that makes me really sleepy, but again I am reminded that sometimes what I need is not sleep, but rest.

Sometimes in the middle of parenting and work and relationships, we're so weary that doing anything that takes energy just seems not worth it. I'm tired and overwhelmed, but sometimes just getting out and getting some perspective is even more renewing than getting sleep.

What do you think? How do you find rest in the middle of parenting? Living overseas? Doing "ministry"?

1 comment:

  1. I hear rock climbing is fun...and a real stress reliever. ;)

    ReplyDelete